About Washington Square Inn
History of Washington Square Inn
Washington Square was one of San Francisco’s first city parks, established in 1847, and North Beach was already a thriving community by the time the Gold Rush brought thousands more to San Francisco. There are old photos showing a Victorian building on the site of the Washington Square Inn (corner of Filbert and Stockton streets, fronting the park) dating to about 1850. However, the infamous 1906 San Francisco Earthquake leveled the neighborhood, along with much of the rest of the City.
In 1910, the current building was constructed on the same site. The Edwardian structure originally housed a pharmacy on the lower floor, and dental and medical offices upstairs. It remained a retail and office building until then-owners Norm and Nan Rosenblatt converted the property into a bed and breakfast inn in 1978.
Today, the renovated Washington Square Inn is owned by Daniel and Maria Levin, and is part of the prestigious Four Sisters Inns collection.